Inspired by 2-3 recipes from the Primal Cravings cookbook. This recipe is similar to a tamale pie, but with cajun flavors and a grain free biscuit topping. It could be made keto with a different topping recipe such as these, as well as omitting the carrots from the mirepoix. Need it to be vegetarian? Replace the turkey with a combination of canned beans, rice, and meat crumbles. ENJOY!!
1 Tbs Butter/Lard/Coconut oil
1 container Mirepoix from Trader Joe (or diced onion, carrot, celery)
1.5-2# ground turkey
1 cup diced tomatoes or salsa
3 Tbs Penzey's Cajun seasoning
2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbs Hot sauce (optional)
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
For the topping:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup arrow root or tapioca starch
2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 cup butter at room temp
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water or broth
4-8oz shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large dutch oven or skillet, melt your fat of choice and sauté the mirepoix.
3. Add the ground turkey and continue to cook until it is browned and crumbly.
4. Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
5. In a medium to large bowl, combine the dry biscuit ingredients.
6. cut the butter in using a fork.
7. Stir in the egg and water.
8. Spoon the biscuit batter over the filling and spread it out to cover the dish.
** Cheddar cheese can be mixed into batter or sprinkled over the top.
8. Bake until golden brown and bubbly. About 30 minutes.
Calories: 430, Total Carb: 21g, Net Carb: 15g, Fat: 23g Protein: 32g
I'm a dietitian with a passion for good nutrition, bold flavors, playing in the dirt, and being with my family.